Humans prepare for everything - marriage, family, retirement. But they fail to prepare for the one thing that is certain to happen in their lives - death.
- Bishop Dag
A well-educated man wanted to cross the sea one day. As he stood by the seashore, he sighted a boatman. So he walked over and asked the boatman if he would take him across the sea. The boatman agreed. And so they went on their journey across the sea. Halfway through the journey, both men talked.
Educated man: Hey mister, do you know astrology?
Boatman: No.
Educated man: *laughs* Then 10% of your life is gone! Then, do you know archaeology?
Boatman: No.
Educated man: *laughs even more* Another 10% of your life is gone! Okay, so do you know ophthalmology?
Boatman: No.
Educated man: *laughing non-stop* That makes 30% of your life gone!
Then suddenly, a great storm brewed. The educated man hung onto the boat for dear life as he thought of what would happen to him. The boatman spoke.
Boatman: Mister, do you know swimology?
Educated man: *Pales* No.
Boatman: Then I can tell you! 100% of your life is gone!
You know, when this story was told, everyone present laughed. But think about it seriously. Have you prepared for death? Then think about this. What have you been doing with your life? And think about another thing. What can you do with your life? People tend to miss out what is truly important in their lives and focus on the little nig nig nag nags in life. Does it really matter? Oh, someone scolded me! Until I get revenge I won't rest! This is what lots of people think, no? I won't say I don't get angry at people. I hate it when someone insults my family, my friends or myself. I also hate it when people touch my things unnessarily or take my things without permission. And I'll be honest, I have a fine temper. Ask anyone close to me and they'll tell you so. But it's one thing to be angry, and another to hold grudges. You know, I think in this way. To forget means that the mind has forgotten. To forgive means that the heart has forgotten. But if you do only one, only the heart or the mind has forgotten that which the mind or heart has not. But most people can accomplish only one. So perhaps, if you have only accomplished one, why not try to accomplish the other? Because if you have a grudge weighing you down, can you ever say that you are truly happy? I remember ever telling my friend this: "If you are not happy with your life now, if you are feeling miserable now, find out why. Then change it. And never forget to turn to your friends for help, even if it is in the middle of the night." And I strongly believe this.
The television dramas are fake. People are very seldom willing to sacrifice themselves for another. Why? Because life is precious. They don't want to spend it on others, they want to spent it on themselves. Loads of people are like that, unless they really love you a lot, then it's a different thing all together because you'll have priority over themselves. In this world, people contradict themselves. They say they hate themselves, yet they love another. If you do not love yourself, how do you expect someone else to love you? DO NOT live in a fairytale world, face reality. Do you really think that there is a Prince Charming who will come and save you everytime you fall? (Uh, sorry to all the guys reading this) And do you think there will be someone watching you every second and ready to help you when you fail? NO! People are too preoccupied looking at themselves and wondering what others are thinking about them to look out for you every second. Yes, not everyone is like that. But what are the chances of having such a nice person near you? Is there even such a person in the first place? So do not wait for such a person to appear, cause you'll most probably be disappointed.
I just wanna leave you with two main points today:
1) Life is short. Are you sure you wanna spend you precious time on revenge? Does revenge really bring you happiness? And if it really does, then what about the guilt in your heart? Or is there none? If so, why? If happiness can be measured by percentage, are you sure that you'll be 100% happy after having your revenge? Or is your heart crying? Are you feeling depressed and guilty because you did something against your own set of rules for living? Can you say this is true happiness?
2) Everyone has decisions. It's just whether they dare or not to speak up.You are you. This life is yours. You make the calls. Nobody can take that right away from you. Live life to the fullest, not in misery, and not by others' misery, but with a smile everyday.